This one-day ‘Introduction to Teaching and Learning @ HKU’ programme is a foundation programme in teaching and learning at the University of Hong Kong and is designed for teaching staff, regardless of previous teaching experience, who are new to teaching at HKU. The overall aim is to provide new staff with a better understanding of specific issues relating to teaching and learning context in Hong Kong and at HKU. Staff will hear from leading Senior Academics in areas of strategic importance to the University.
During this programme, participants will engage in discussion and hands on activities relating to issues relevant to teaching and learning at HKU. These will include the overview of the 4-year undergraduate curriculum reform delivered by Professor Amy B.M. Tsui, the PVC of HKU, the demography and culture of HKU students, English as a medium of instruction, the common core curriculum and e-learning at HKU. Participants will also learn about the many forms of and uses for the evaluation of teaching and learning at HKU and about the opportunities for teaching development grants and teaching awards at HKU.
Time: 9:30am – 3:30pm
Venue: Multi-purpose Zone, 3/F, HKU Main Library
Upon completion of the programme, participants will be expected to have:
- Discussed the implications for teaching and learning in relation to current changes in the HK education system and at HKU
- Engaged in active discussions on demographic, cultural and language issues relevant to teaching and learning from the perspectives of the students and the teachers
- Participated in activities demonstrating the use of student evaluation of teaching and learning at HKU
- Identified different teaching-related opportunities and activities to motivate and enhance student learning available at HKU
- Identified opportunities to pursue the scholarship of teaching and learning
The ‘Introduction to Teaching and Learning @ HKU’ is a required programme for all new academic and academic-related staff with full-time teaching responsibilities commencing on or after September 1, 2011, and should be taken within the first year of service and there are no exemptions. If you are unclear as to whether this applies to you, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Gayle Morris, the Director of Academic Programmes.
Early registration is encouraged as enrollment is limited.
In the event of full registration, priority will be given to new academic and academic-related staff with full-time teaching responsibilities commencing on or after September 1, 2011.
For information on registration, please contact:
Ms. Ivy Lai, CETL
Phone: 3917 8996; Email: email@example.com.