HKU Horizons Experience Award
The University of Hong Kong is committed to being Asia’s Global University and to providing students with a ‘total learning experience’ combining both disciplinary specialization and broad-based engagement with current and global issues. Teaching and learning is underpinned by three pillars – internationalization, innovation and interdisciplinary – in order to achieve impact.
In support of internationalization, the University has launched the HKU Horizons endeavor, with the specific aims to promote and provide educationally meaningful and robust Mainland and international (ML/INT) learning experience for undergraduate students. Awards are being established to encourage students to reflect on and to share their ML/INT learning experience, with a view to promoting and publicizing the HKU Horizons endeavor.
Details of the Award
- The award shall be known as the HKU Horizons Experience Award.
- The Award competition shall be held annually in January.
- There shall be three awards – with a top prize of $10,000 and two further prizes of $5,000 to be awarded.
- The Awards shall be made to undergraduate students who shall submit a video of not more than three minutes capturing and reflecting on their ML/INT learning experience. Submissions may be made on an individual or a group basis.
- Selection shall be made on the basis of the substance and value of the learning experience captured and also the quality of the video presentation.
- The winning videos, acknowledged as “HKU Horizons Experience”, may be used by the university for promotional purposes, both internal and external. The student producer, individual or group, will be acknowledged as appropriate. The videos may also be refined as appropriate and authorised by the Horizons Committee.
- Any of the awards shall be withheld in any year in which submission(s) are judged to be of insufficient merit.
- The HKU Horizons Committee, supported by Horizons Office, shall oversee the management of the Awards.
- The Awards shall be administered by Horizons Office and awarded by a Selection Committee comprising:
- Vice-President & Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Teaching & Learning) and his/her designate (Chairperson); and
- two members from the Horizons Committee.
- The regulations of the Award may be revised subject to review by the Horizons Committee to meet future circumstances.
- The 2016-17 Round of competition is now open. Undergraduate students who are interested in joining the competition are invited to submit a video of not more than three minutes capturing and reflecting on their ML/INT learning experience. Submissions may be made on an individual or a group basis.
- Please upload your entry to youtube and send the link to email@example.com, providing:
- the name(s) of the participant(s)
- curriculum and year of study
- name of the ML/INT programme concerned
- contact details (e.g. email and contact number).
- The submission deadline is Monday January 23, 2017 (2400).
(Upon uploading your video, please select “unlist” to avoid publication of your video on youtube, google, etc).
To support students interested in making a submission, two sessions have been organized to introduce the facilities and support available in the Digital Literacy Lab (DLL) in the Chi Way Learning Commons. The DLL has facilities to capture digital media and workstations with software to edit video. There is technical support staff on-hand to provide students with support.
Students who have had a ML/INT experience are welcome to come along and learn more about the DLL at one of these two sessions:
- Saturday January 14 at 10:30am
- Monday January 16 at 5:30pm
HKU Horizons Office: Room 136, 1/F, Main Building, The University of Hong Kong
Telephone: 2857 8539