Completed TDG Projects
Developing the Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) of Novice Teachers of L2 English
The central aim of the project was to support the detailed planning and development of the Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) course offered as a core component of our BA&BEd programme. The PCK course is a key element in the preparation of the novice teachers of L2 English studying in the university. The project has made a major contribution to our thinking about how best to promote the development of novice L2 teachers’ PCK within the framework adopted for our undergraduate programmes in 2012.
In order that we can relate our PCK development strategies to the realities of L2 English teaching in the Hong Kong context, the project has created a bank of audio-recorded lessons featuring ‘critical incidents’ in the handling of different aspects of the language systems. These lessons, supported by post-lesson interviews of the teacher concerned, provide a rich fund of data both for use in PCK-related courses and for future research. Also, the project has led/will lead to a number of paper presentations in international conferences:
- The 16th International Association for Applied Linguistics World Congress (Beijing
- Enhancing Learning Experiences in Higher Education: International Conference (Hong Kong)
- Learning Conference 2010 (Hong Kong)
Professor S.J. Andrews, Faculty of EducationContact
- Audio-recorded lessons featuring ‘critical incidents’ in the handling of different aspects of the language systems in Hong Kong secondary school English language classrooms.
- Mok, J. & Andrews, S. Using on-line discussion forums to enhance teaching and learning in higher education. Enhancing Learning Experiences in Higher Education: International Conference, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, December 2010.
- Andrews, S. & Mok, J. Using electronic portfolio assessment to enhance student learning experiences in higher education. Enhancing Learning Experiences in Higher Education: International Conference, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, December 2010.
- Andrews, S. & Mok, J. Developing the language awareness of novice teachers of L2 English: The issue of knowledge transfer. The 17th International Conference on Learning, Hong Kong, July 2010.