Completed TDG Projects
IT in the Curriculum and E-learning
Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Integrating Mobile Learning with Learning Management System
Learning management systems (LMSs) (e.g. Moodle, SOUL, Blackboard) have been widely adopted by many higher education institutions around the world, as an interactive learning environment to facilitate teaching and learning. With the growing popularity of handheld mobile devices among staff and students in higher education, it is increasingly common for them to access information and services related to teaching and learning using mobile devices such as smartphones. This project aims to improve teaching and learning through integrating mobile learning (m-Learning) with LMSs. A number of instructors and researchers in different faculties in HKU and HKU SPACE Community College were in collaboration on integrating mobile learning to LMS. The goal is to provide an empirical assessment of the impacts of LMS and those of mobile access to LMS on teaching and learning, leading to recommendations of pedagogical designs for mobile learning on LMS. The project also aims to summarize the best practices and share them with all instructors across the HKU community.
Dr. X. Hu, Faculty of Education Contact
- To share our project output with the community, we set up a publicly accessible web page, showing all the details about this project including the objectives, parties involved, all deliverables (as listed here), and related useful materials.
- An evaluation report on the pre-intervention impact of Moodle on learning and teaching across four participating faculties in HKU
- A report on teaching cases of integrating mobile learning with LMS in supporting teaching and learning in the participating courses
- An instructor’s handbook on successful pedagogical approaches and best practices in integrating mobile learning with LMS, for future adoption in different HKU faculties
- An evaluation report on usage and impact of integrating mobile learning with Moodle on learning and teaching across four faculties in HKU
- A report on the comparison of the impact of Moodle and SOUL (used in HKU SPACE) on teaching and learning, with recommendations on future improvement of LMS in HKU
- A half-day symposium and workshops to advocate the integration of mobile learning with Moodle and to share experiences
- A symposium titled “Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Integrating Mobile Learning with Learning Management Systems” was organized in June 2016 at the Center for Information Technology in Education Research Symposium (CITERS) 2016. (slides of the talks are embedded and publically available on the project website: http://ccmir.cite.hku.hk/index.php/tdg-mm/)
- A workshop titled “How We Used Moodle: A Sharing Session” was held in December 2016 for the event Advanced Teaching and Learning of the Centre for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CELT) of the University. (slides available at http://ccmir.cite.hku.hk/index.php/tdg-mm/)
- Three more workshops were held, two for instructors at HKU respectively in August 2014 and January 2015, and one for HKU SPACE in January 2015.
- Research publications:
- Hu, X., Lei, L. C. U., Li, J., Iseli-Chan, N., Siu, F. L., & Chu, S. K. W. (2016). Access Moodle Using Mobile Phones: Student Usage and Perceptions. In Mobile Learning Design: Theories and Application (pp. 155-171). Springer Singapore. DOI= 10.1007/978-981-10-0027-0_10
- Hu, X., Cheong, C. W. L., Ding W. & Woo, M. (2017). A Systematic Review of Studies on Predicting Student Learning Outcomes Using Learning Analytics, In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge Proceedings, LAK ’17, Mar 13 – 17, 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
- Hu, X., Chu, S., Tsang, K. Y. & Ng, J. (under review). Integrating mobile learning to Learning Management System in A Community College.
- Hu, X. Chu, S., Ng, J. & Manning, K. (under review). Non-repository Uses of Moodle through Mobile Access: A Case from Hong Kong.