Teaching Excellence Awards 2021
The Teaching Excellence Award Scheme aims to recognise, reward and promote excellence in teaching at the University. The Scheme comprises four categories, viz. University Distinguished Teaching Award, Outstanding Teaching Award, Early Career Teaching Award and Teaching Innovation Award. Nominations for the different categories were considered by a Selection Panel comprising the following members:
Nominations for the different categories were considered by a Selection Panel comprising the following members:
- Professor Ian HOLLIDAY (Chair), Vice-President and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning)
- Professor Anthony SMITH, Vice-Provost (Faculties), University College London
- Dr Susan BRIDGES, Director, Centre for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning
- Dr Yeewan KOON, Associate Professor and Chair of Department of Art History, School of Humanities (Recipient of 2021 UGC Teaching Award and 2020 Outstanding Teaching Award of the University)
- Mr Jason WONG, student representative
The Selection Panel was deeply impressed with the awardees’ dedication to teaching, their tireless and creative efforts to make learning enjoyable and challenging, and their impact on student learning. The University is grateful to Professor Smith for providing expert advice during the final selection process.
Dr. Christophe Dominique Michel COUPESchool of Humanities
My teaching philosophy can be summarised by the ergonomist Pierre Rabardel’s motto: ‘to tool up someone’s power to act’.
Mr Patrick David DESLOGECentre for Applied English Studies
My story is one that blends three main pillars of teaching practice, that have come together because of the extraordinary teaching and learning environment at HKU.
Ms Vincci Mak Wing SzeDepartment of Architecture
I have dedicated my teaching career in developing a foundation studio as I find it an essential cornerstone to students’ landscape education.