Completed TDG Projects
IT in the Curriculum and E-learning
Use of GeoGebra for the Teaching and Learning of Introductory-level Mathematics Courses
This project proposes the construction of a library of teaching and learning resources for introductory-level mathematics courses. These resources will be designed and created using GeoGebra, a free and open-source software that combines the ease of use of a dynamic geometry software with typical features of a computer algebra system. The use of GeoGebra allows visualizations of mathematical ideas and creation of interactive instructional materials. The web-based platform developed in this project will provide teachers with lively in-class demonstration to supplement the rigorous mathematical theories, and will facilitate the presentation of the dynamic nature of topics involving calculus and geometry. In addition, the tailor-made applets with corresponding guidelines and activities can foster student-centered learning as well as mathematical explorations. The entire project has been incorporated into the HKU EdX platform.
Dr. Y.M. Chan, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science Contact
- HKU EdX course: GeoGebra Resources for Introductory-level Mathematics
- An online course “GeoGebra Resources for Introductory-level Mathematics Courses” has been created under “HKU Online Learning” where teachers and students can find the collection of GeoGebra applets with guidelines and self-explorations.
- E-blog: https://tl.hku.hk/2017/09/learning-the-dynamics-and-beauty-of-mathematics-through-geogebra/
- Screen caps of the materials. Download
- Full access to the materials. Download